Skip to main content

Satisfied

--Written April 2016

We've bought into a lie.  This lie for the most part tells us to have aspirations and seek to fulfill them to find your purpose in the game called life.  This lie says go to school after you graduate and become popular on some campus, get your dream job, marry the dream girl, or do a lot of traveling.

Only then will your life be one with purpose.  Once these things that we have aspired to... or put in front of us... what we're chasing... come to pass then, and only then, will true satisfaction come into your life.

I've been thinking a lot, especially now that my time at the school I attended is coming to a close.  I had so many expectations for school going into it.

Some of my aspirations included being friends with a lot of people, being a leader, being a leader of a lot of things actually, being a role model for those younger than me, being someone people could depend on, being one of the hardest workers at my job, being the couple with my girlfriend that people respected?

The crazy thing is... these things pretty much became true, because I poured my time and energy into them.  I'm sure God directed my steps into many of these outcomes, but that's honestly what I spent my resources into.

And you know what?

I'm not satisfied in those things.  I'm just not, no matter how I spin it in my mind.  I want more.  There's a thirst that was not quenched by the things I had put as goals into mind.

And I know.  I know... what will satisfy me.  It's as clear as day, like one of those huge billboards that you see off the side of the freeway.

Jesus.

But how?  How on earth do I find my true, full satisfaction in just seeking Christ?

I'm reminded of a verse that has been with me much of my life from the book of Matthew.  In chapter 6, verse 33 it says, "Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you."

Only Christ can satisfy that deepest longing in our hearts for fulfillment.  Only He can quench our thirst.

Are a lot of those things I mentioned before good things?  Sure they are.

But if I make those good things my ultimate things, the things I can't live without... they become idols.

God warned against idolatry, many times actually throughout the Old Testament.  While it's easy to distance ourselves from the Israelites who worshiped false heathen Gods of other nations... aren't we doing the same thing with our popularity, appearance, relationships, and money?

I think so.

Jesus invites us to lay down our idols at His feet and worship something that's actually worth our while.  Him.

There's nothing we will be more amazed by than the moment we see Jesus face to face one day in heaven.  We get to look forward to that!

C.S. Lewis says this in his book, "The Weight of Glory"...

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.” 
How true is this?

I pray for my own life that I wouldn't be so distracted, so content, so in pursuit with the mud pies this world has to offer.

Rather, I want my efforts to be aimed Jesus.






Comments